Quakers in Yorkshire
Quakers in Yorkshire is a regional gathering of the Religious Society of Friends in Britain (Quakers in Britain). It provides spiritual fellowship and pan-Yorkshire services to members and attenders in its constituent local and area meetings. It covers Local Quaker meetings in West, East, South and most of North Yorkshire.
Quakers in Britain is organised into local meetings with normally weekly Meetings for Worship. These are grouped into area meetings who all come under the national Britain Yearly Meeting – which as the name implies meets annually. The Yearly Meeting is the final constitutional authority of Quakers in Britain. The Quakers in Yorkshire regional gathering links seven area meetings and 39 local meetings. The area meetings provide the office-holders, trustees and volunteers for Quakers in Yorkshire activities. The seven area meetings are:
- Brighouse West Yorkshire (Bradford, Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Huddersfield, Scholes);
- Central Yorkshire (Ackworth, Barnsley, High Flatts, Pontefract, Wakefield, Wooldale);
- Craven & Keighley (Airton, Bentham, Keighley, Settle, Skipton);
- Leeds (Leeds Adel, Leeds Carlton Hill, Leeds Gildersome, Ilkley, Otley, Rawdon, Leeds Roundhay);
- Pickering & Hull (Beverley, Hull, Kirkbymoorside, Malton, Pickering, Scarborough, Whitby)
- Sheffield & Balby (Balby (Doncaster), Hope Vally Sheffield Central, Sheffield Nether Edge);
- York (York Acomb, York Friargate, Harrogate, York New Earswick, Thirsk).
Quakers in Yorkshire is a registered charity (Number 1139514).
The object of Quakers in Yorkshire is the furtherance of the general religious and charitable purposes of the Religious Society of Friends in the region encompassed by the seven area meetings and beyond. It does this by work such as:
- outreach and the care and nurturing of children and young people;
- providing for relief in need for those who are Friends or Attenders of participant meetings;
- promoting the education of children of Friends and Attenders in good standing of local meetings in Yorkshire who attend a secondary school officially connected to Britain Yearly Meeting;
- assisting in the erecting, maintaining, repairing or improving of Quaker meeting houses;
- overseeing the governance of Bootham School, York and The Mount School, York;
- supporting the charitable objects of Glenthorne Quaker Centre;
- making trustee appointments to Breckenbrough School and The Retreat, York;
- administering and maintaining the organisation of Quakers in Yorkshire.